Although advisors have opened quite a few donor-advised fund (DAF) accounts for shoppers up to now 10 years, a few of these similar advisors are pissed off that others haven’t but opened accounts though these can be of their greatest pursuits.
Final week, an advisor requested me for recommendation so he may persuade a few of his charitably-minded shoppers to open DAFs as a result of they’ve been reluctant up to now. Most advisors, in addition to a few of their shoppers, perceive the advantages of DAFs: most tax deduction now and skill to grant over time; ease of constructing grants on-line; anonymity when desired; skill to just accept illiquid property; low charges; property develop tax-free; just one annual tax receipt.
Whereas some shoppers open DAFs the primary time they study them, usually others don’t open them till their advisors suggest them a second or third time. At this level, most high-net-worth donors have pals, members of the family or colleagues who’ve opened accounts. Although it’s getting very late within the yr and cutoffs for opening accounts and donating inventory and different property are looming, advisors must be inspired that there’s nonetheless time to strive once more.
Listed here are some questions which have been useful for advisors to ask shoppers in an effort to stimulate their curiosity and encourage them to do what they need to have performed years in the past:
- Do you presently make donations to charities and anticipate to take care of or enhance these over time?
- Do you need to decrease taxes, particularly when promoting extremely appreciated property?
- Do you anticipate a big bonus or earnings this yr and need to put aside some property to fund future giving?
- Would you like or want a big tax deduction now however want time to determine which charities to assist?
- Do you usually rush to ship donations on the finish of the yr?
- Does your earnings fluctuate, making it troublesome to donate constant quantities yearly to your favourite charities?
- Do you anticipate a liquidity occasion corresponding to promoting a enterprise or actual property or receiving an inheritance within the not-too-distant future?
- Would you like a easy approach of sending donations to many charities from a web-based portal as an alternative of sending inventory or checks or making bank card donations?
- Would you like to obtain just one annual donation acknowledgement letter as an alternative of getting to maintain observe of quite a few ones from the charities you assist?
- Would you prefer to encourage and contain your heirs in charitable giving choices and planning?
- Would you like the flexibility to present anonymously at occasions?
- Do you’ve gotten a personal basis that’s cumbersome, expensive and complex to function and need a extra environment friendly and cheaper choice that accomplishes the identical charitable objectives?
Some shoppers will not be able to open a DAF or change what they’ve been doing for years, however now’s an ideal time to ask these questions as a result of that is the height charitable giving season and everybody receives quite a few donation requests presently of yr. Most shoppers proceed to be philanthropic and can be happy to know of ways in which they’ll have a higher affect on the causes and charities which are most necessary to them.
Ought to they not be able to open a DAF this yr, charities nonetheless want and would respect their direct assist earlier than year-end. By broaching the topic now, shoppers might be extra prone to open a DAF earlier subsequent yr and keep away from the identical scenario on the finish of subsequent yr.
Ken Nopar is the vp and senior philanthropic advisor for the American Endowment Basis (AEF) donor-advised fund.