On this episode, you’ll hear the wonderful story of 1 System Botanica graduate who knew what she needed to do, however didn’t know precisely learn how to get there. We hear how she went from cafe proprietor to mom to formulator to instructor to contract producer in lower than 10 years and created an empire by turning issues into options and roadblocks into alternatives.
Most nations all over the world assist you to manufacture your personal skincare model at house, however that isn’t the case in Indonesia. So what would you do when you have been formulating in a small analysis lab and the authorities instantly turned up, ordered you to destroy your whole elements and tools after which shut you down?
Lorraine talks to Dewi Kauw, System Botanica graduate and founding father of Pores and skin Dewi, an award-winning, Indonesian-based skincare and bodycare model that gives merchandise produced from pure and natural elements. What started as a mom’s quest to alleviate her child’s pores and skin points has grown right into a formulation and manufacturing empire with a mission to coach on life-style and wellness whereas serving to its viewers and clients take care of a myriad of pores and skin points.
Dewi explains the trials and tribulations of not solely launching a plant-based natural skincare line in Indonesia, but additionally the challenges she confronted on a producing entrance. She dared to dream of constructing her personal manufacturing facility and with dedication and creativity she made it occur. Tune in for an enlightening interview filled with juicy entrepreneurial tidbits and sensible recommendation on how ardour and perseverance can transfer magnificence mountains.
On this episode with Dewi Kauw, you’ll hear:
- After graduating from college in Singapore and spending just a few years within the USA, Dewi returned to Indonesia realizing she needed to run her personal enterprise however didn’t know precisely what. It wasn’t till she discovered her “Why” that all the things began to fall into place.
- How synchronicity, and the need to discover a pure plant-based options for her child daughter’s eczema, took her to Germany to analysis pure merchandise after which to looking out on-line for a faculty to show her what she wanted to know; which is when she stumbled upon System Botanica’s public Fb Group and signed up as a pupil.
- How her skincare training taught her far more than formulation, to incorporate how life-style, weight loss program, bodily and psychological well being can have an effect on the pores and skin. Transferring this beneficial data turned her mission – to offer again to those that wanted it most by empowering and educating folks.
- How the elevated demand, spurred on by Covid and the dearth of GMP-certified producers in Indonesia, noticed Dewi trying into constructing her personal facility as a way to scale.
- In 2023, after a variety of hurdles and challenges, Dewi overcame all of them and opened her GMP-certified contract manufacturing facility – the primary of its form in Indonesia targeted on pure and natural merchandise.
- About her continued need to develop her enterprise, notably creating not solely a neighborhood Indonesian model, but additionally a premium one which may very well be offered worldwide and compete on the world stage. She firmly believes that the Eurocentric notion of magnificence is unrealistic and out-of-date.
Key takeouts embrace:
- Entrepreneurship takes many kinds even within the skincare formulation sector. Being curious, studying and rising can take you locations chances are you’ll not have imagined. Alternatives abound.
- To be a profitable entrepreneur you will need to have a which means and better function. There have to be a mission behind your model. For Dewi it was watching folks with pores and skin points being reworked, seeing them burst with confidence. Altering lives is the driving pressure that retains her going.
- Don’t be dissuaded by those that are set of their methods or refuse to alter with the occasions. Be singular in your dedication. Know what you wish to create and construct. Be constant. Be genuine. All the things else is only a distraction.
- Know your “Why”. Why do you wish to do what you might be planning on doing? Be very clear about this. Write it down. In large letters. On an enormous sheet of paper. You possibly can at all times come again to your “Why” while you really feel defeated or wish to surrender.
- Beginning a enterprise doesn’t require a pile of cash. With $1500 Dewi discovered the data she wanted to get began on constructing her dream. Leap and the online will seem.
- Perceptions and attitudes about international magnificence are altering. There are a variety of formulators, magnificence manufacturers and wonder entrepreneurs which might be striving to alter the ingrained Eurocentric notion of the wonder trade.
Meet our visitor – Dewi Kauw, founding father of Pores and skin Dewi
Introducing Dewi Kauw, System Botanica graduate and founding father of award-winning magnificence model Pores and skin Dewi. Pores and skin Dewi merchandise are produced from pure and natural elements which might be designed for prime efficiency, but mild and protected to ship outcomes for even these clients with delicate pores and skin. Along with working a profitable and sought-after skincare model, in 2023 Dewi opened her personal 1,000+ m2 manufacturing facility making hers the primary manufacturing facility in Indonesia that focuses on pure and natural formulations. Her facility boasts an in-house QC Lab, R&D Lab and a Microbiology Lab. Her one-stop-shop has the capability to handle 50-80 different manufacturers.
You could find extra data on Dewi Kauw, her product line Pores and skin Dewi and her contract manufacturing particulars right here:
If you wish to hear extra about among the subjects we lined, please delve again into the podcast archives. Go and take heed to:
Episode 89 – Interview with magnificence pioneer Sarah Brown of Pai Skincare who additionally runs her personal manufacturing facility. That is one among System Botanica’s hottest episodes to this point. To not be missed.
Episode 91 – Interview with Sandra Velasquez of Nopalera who, identical to Dewi, agrees the cosmetics trade is constructed upon archaic Eurocentric view of magnificence and is pushed to alter that notion globally.
Thanks for becoming a member of us for this episode of the System Botanica Inexperienced Magnificence Conversations podcast. In the event you loved listening, please share, subscribe and evaluation this episode on iTunes, Spotify or Youtube in order that extra folks can benefit from the present. Don’t overlook to comply with and join with us on Fb, Twitter and Instagram.
Depart us a remark
Lorraine Dallmeier is a Biologist, Chartered Environmentalist and the CEO of System Botanica, the award-winning on-line natural beauty science faculty. Learn extra about Lorraine and the System Botanica Crew.
fbq('init', '1441623626075657'); // Insert your pixel ID here.