Within the spring and summer time I look ahead to rhubarb season, which additionally goes hand in hand with strawberry season. These two summer time fruits pair so effectively collectively, the crunchy, acidic rhubarb stalks offering a bracing construction to the fragrant, candy crimson berries, culminating into the proper sweet-tart taste combo that’s so treasured in strawberry rhubarb recipes. Whereas most of us are very accustomed to strawberries, fewer of us know the rhubarb as effectively.
When is rhubarb in season?
Relying in your location, rhubarb is in season April by means of June. I’ve just a little rhubarb plant rising in my backyard, and I simply love to choose these crisp stalks for this rhubarb sauce recipe. Whereas the big triangular rhubarb leaves are inedible, the fleshy, crunchy pink-green stalks are scrumptious.
Tips on how to freeze rhubarb when you’ve got an ample provide?
It’s simple—simply slice them into brief items (1-2 inches), unfold them on a baking sheet, pop it within the freezer, and as soon as they’re strong, switch the rhubarb slices to an hermetic container. Now you may retailer within the freezer for as much as 6 months to make use of on this recipe (you can too use retailer purchased frozen rhubarb). My mom would dip the uncooked stalks into sugar and eat them like dipping celery sticks into peanut butter, however I really like them cooked with strawberries in quite a few methods, akin to a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, summer time fruit skillet cobbler, or crisp. You may also use your rhubarb for this tremendous simple, scrumptious, healthful, versatile Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, which you’ll be able to get pleasure from plain and easy by the spoon, similar to recent applesauce! Or, ladle it over your favourite desserts, akin to good cream, sorbet, or tart shells; breakfast meals, akin to plant-based yogurt parfaits, or complete grain porridge bowls; or baked items, akin to pancakes, waffles, and low cake. I swear, when you make up a batch of this tremendous simple, four-ingredient Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, it’s going to disappear very quickly!
Make this simple, low-sugar, pure, scrumptious, wholesome, plant-based, gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce to serve over your favourite desserts, pancakes, waffles, yogurt, or cereal bowls—or to get pleasure from such as you would applesauce.
- 1 pound recent (or frozen) rhubarb stalks, trimmed of leaves, sliced into 1-inch items
- 1 pound recent (or frozen) strawberries, sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- Place sliced rhubarb and strawberries in a medium pot. Add lemon juice, sugar, and stir effectively over medium warmth.
- Cowl, deliver to a simmer over medium warmth, and cook dinner for 10-Quarter-hour, stirring incessantly, till fruit is tender and thickened.
- Take away from warmth, cool, and retailer in air-tight containers for as much as one week, or freeze for as much as 6 months.
- Makes 3 cups (6 servings, ½ cup every).
- Might get pleasure from as a easy sauce, or serve it in pies, cobblers, crisps, fruit bars, or popsicles; or over cereal, pancakes, waffles, good cream, or plant-based yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: Quarter-hour
- Class: Sauces
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 61
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fats: 0 g
- Saturated Fats: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
Key phrases: strawberry rhubarb, rhubarb sauce, do-it-yourself strawberry rhubarb sauce
For different fruit-forward desserts, try the next:
Peach Rosemary Olive Oil Crisp
Apricot Almond Tart
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Ojai Pixie Tangerine Vegan Cheesecake Cups
Strawberry Blondies with Coconut
This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.